Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Remember when?

During my ride home last week from carpool my little neighbor and I talked about braces, she had just gotten her bands changed and was proud to show off her new black bands. I then began to say how I wanted braces or a retainer so bad when I was little. In fact I would bend paperclips to fit around my teeth. I even once went as far as borrowing my friend Sherece's retainer....ewwe. I know so gross it didn't really fit, the roof of my mouth was taller then hers....TMI huh? Then last week I found out that you could melt a jollyrancher in the microwave and mold it to your mouth...Cool huh? I shared this new found news with her and she just looked at me like I was crazy and asked me to please unlock the doors so she could get out of the car... I think I scared her I did have a little too much enthusiam. Not that I'm going to try it, I just thought that was interesting. (I'll let you know how it goes!)

So it just got me thinking about the good ol'days. And the things I miss from when I was much younger. I thought I'd shared some of things with you today.

-Remember when it was cool to wear 2 pairs of socks (preferably 2 different colors) over your stretch pants?

-Friendship bracelets!!! How many did you have?

-BFF necklaces or rings?

-Stake Dances...and dancing with the boy you thought at the ripe ol' age of 14 was "the one."

-Top Gun...when Tom wasn't weird (sherece you know you loved him)

-NKOTB!!! Yes there I admit it I was a "new kid on the block" junkie. I had so many pictures from "Teen Beat" magazine all over my walls!! I can't believe my mom put up with that!! I loved them and I wanted a NKOTB t-shirt so bad I would have a reoccuring dream about it!!! I never got it sadly....I still want one.

-TGIF I swear I lived for "Full House" and the shows that followed every Friday night.

- Our school went thru a few "what are you bringing for lunch?" fads, one of them was a bagel and cream cheese fad, another was pepperocini's (oh yeah you were cool) and my favorite the BLT. Forget about potential food poisoning they were dang good. I never had one packed in my lunch but, my friend did and she shared with me until her mom found out I was eating half her lunch, she then began packing me my own!! Thanks Mrs. Farris!

- Side pony tails!! Not the cute low slung ones of today, I'm talking Deb from "Napoleon Dynamite". Up there for everone to see. Wave that ponytail proudly!!

- Handball at recess need I say more?

- "The Crimper" I had long golden hair that looked awesome crimped especially if you didn't brush it out afterwards. Bless my mom's heart for taking the time to do that for me!!

-Short skirts with biker shorts!!

- The "Step" hair cut for boys...you were especially cool if you had multiple steps.

-Slumber parties and t.p-ing houses...I once got grounded for doing this for a month...ok, we did a little more then t.p the house....I don't want to talk about it...

SO these and many others are things I've reminiced about...

What are your fond memories?!!

Oh yeah, strwaberry shortcake, poundpuppies, smurfs, and thundercats!!! Ok, I'm done!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Ok I remember that stuff but you probably don't remember the maxi dress, midi dress and of course the mini dress. Mini is the only one that lasted
Mom Van

rvan said...

I remember the maxi pad? does that count?

Coleen said...

I just played handball with the boys the other day for FHE and I have to say I still have the skillz. I may have to challenge you to a game of handball when you visit;)

Ricki said...

Yeah! I remember... and a lot of those memories include you at our house Randi. :) In addition to yours I must add: Snick-at-Night (Clarissa Explains it All, Are You Afraid of the Dark? etc.); awkward first kisses; and singing in the car with your sister and her friends.

Andrea said...

You are SO funny! Okay, here gos, I did that paper clip retainer thing too, until I got a real one (a watermelon one), the guy I danced with at the Stake Dances when I was 14, really was "the one", and I loved handball, Jake was even named The Handball King at our school (he was really good at slicies), and guess what~ you can get your NKOTB tshirt, because they're back together! Seriously!

Chelsey Howard said...

I totally love NKOTB too! I even had the NKOTB barbie dolls! Ahh the good old days!